NJ Parent's Link
“Did You Know?” is a weekly feature from the Office for State, Tribal, Local and Territorial Support to inform your prevention activities. We invite you to read, share, and take action!
October 19, 2012
- Primary care and public health share a common goal of improving population health, yet too often work independently, according to a recent Institute of Medicine report.
- CDC’s Primary Care and Public Health Initiative works with residency education programs to reach physicians early in their careers with critical public health messages.
- You can sign up to learn about the Primary Care and Public Health Initiative’s monthly teleconferences andcustomizable educational materials.
Chronic Disease prevention, communicable disease control and maternal and child health services are provided at the Dr. William Toth Memorial Health Center. These services are available by appointment only.
- Blood Pressure Screenings - Blood pressure screenings are held Fridays from 9 to 11 a.m..
- Immunizations - Flu and pneumonia shots are offered in the fall to senior citizens and high-risk individuals over 18 years of age.
- Traveling to a foreign country? Up-to-date information on all foreign travel requirements and advisories are available. Diphtheria and tetanus boosters are also available.
- Child Health Conference (CHC)
Infants and pre-school children (up to age five) with not insurance may attend the CHC. The CHC includes: physical exams; immunizations; developmental assessments. The CHC is staffed by a pediatrician and licensed public health nurses. Lead testing is provided if the assessment indicates a risk for lead poisoning.
- School Age Immunizations are offered once a month for Children from Edison without health insurance. Appointments are required. Call 732-248-7286 for dates and appointments. Schools and child care centers are audited for compliance with State mandated requirements
- Hepatitis B Perinatal Program
This program is for mothers who are positive for Hepatitis B. It ensures that all babies born to mothers who are Hepatitis B positive are immunized with the Hepatitis B vaccine.
- Women, Infants & Children (WIC)
WIC is a federally funded program for pregnant and breast-feeding women and their children who meet the nutritional and financial guidelines. Medicaid eligible clients are encouraged to enroll. Enrollment and appointments can be made by calling (732) 249-3513.
Sexual Disease Clinic
Clinics are held every other Monday (except holidays) from 4:30 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.. No appointments are necessary, There is a fee and this service is available to all residents of the State of New Jersey.
HIV testing is NOT included in the Monday evening clinic, HIV testing is done during the day and requires an appointment. There is no fee for HIV testing.
Please call 732-248-7286 for Monday clinic dates, and HIV appointments